Divorce & Separation Questions?

ABOUT US:  EasyNCDivorce.com is a division of The Houser Law Firm, P.C. 

We believe the decision to divorce is hard enough and that once you and your spouse have made that decision – the hard part should be over.  We are committed to helping clients of all income levels with a convenient and professional way to get through the divorce process as quickly, easily and affordably as possible.


• What if I don’t know where my spouse is?

If you want your divorce to be affordable – you will need a good address for your spouse.  However, if you have done everything you can to locate you spouse but just can not find a good address, you can still get divorced – it will just take longer and be way more expensive as your spouse will likely need to be served by legal publication (basically a specific legal ad that runs in an approved newspaper for a specific period of time).  Legal Publications often run between $1500 and $2500 and you will be required by the Court to prove that you did a diligent search for your spouse.  So it is in your best interest to put in a good effort to locate your spouse to keep costs down.

• What if my spouse doesn’t want a divorce or is not cooperative?

You do not need your spouse’s consent, permission or for them to ‘sign paperwork’ to get divorced.  North Carolina is a no fault state, if you meet the eligibility requirements for a divorce, you are entitled to it and there is not anything your spouse can legally do to prevent it.  So you can still get divorced and use our service even if your spouse doesn’t want the divorce or is uncooperative but it will likely take a bit longer and could be more expensive if they have to be served by Sheriff or Legal Publication.  However, we will still be less expensive and likely quicker than your local hometown family law attorney.

• How long will all of this take?

It mostly depends on how cooperative your spouse is but a standard Uncontested Divorce takes an average of 45 to 60 days to complete from start to finish. If you and your spouse agree, it can be done quicker by having your spouse sign a Waiver. This will cut off up to 30 of those days, meaning your divorce can be completed in about 30 to 45 days or sooner. There is an additional fee of $100 for the expedited service for a total of $495.

• What if my spouse lives out of the country or I do not know where my spouse is?

If your spouse lives outside the United States – that could be a problem.  The best way to handle that is for us to represent your spouse and to serve you as the Defendant here in North Carolina.  That will keep costs down and we can avoid issues with international service of process of the divorce paperwork such as having to serve in compliance with the Hague Convention.  If you do not know where your spouse is currently living then you are required to do a diligent search for your spouse and it is better and cheaper if you can locate them. However, if you have done everything you can and can not locate your spouse or if your spouse is purposefully dodging service, we can request permission from the Court to serve them by Legal Publication but it is expensive and will delay your divorce.

• I am concerned about doing this ‘online’ – how do I know this isn’t an internet scam?

We are a professional, licensed law firm. Our divorce attorney and staff have over 20 years of experience dealing with cases like yours and have successfully completed thousands of divorces in an easy, quick and professional manner for our clients from all over North Carolina. Attorney A. Bowden Johnson (bar number 42917) is a member in good standing of the North Carolina State Bar and has not had a single bar complaint. Verifiable at www.ncbar.com. Our firm has an outstanding reputation in the community and with Court personnel and Judges. Our former clients have included Judges, other attorneys and Court Personnel who have entrusted the handling of their divorce to us.  If you are uncomfortable sending personal information online just click here to use our easy  Alternate Printable Divorce Form

• I don’t want to have to go to Court or to your office.  Can I do everything from home?

You would NOT need to appear in Court or travel to our office (unless you want to for some reason). With possibly the exception of getting the paperwork notarized, most everything can be done from the comfort of your home quickly and professionally by phone, e-mail and postal mail.

• The fee is too cheap. How do you do divorces for that amount? This deal is too good – something seems shady!  What gives?

We do a LOT of divorces and we keep our overhead and expenses low and pass the savings to you. Nothing more than simple tried and true good business practices. Also, our law firm is committed to providing clients of all income levels an easy, convenient, professional and affordable way to get through the divorce process!

• The fee is too expensive. Why shouldn’t I just do my own divorce?

You can!  We can prepare personalized Sign & Submit™ Divorce Forms and Instructions for $95 but you will only save money if you are indigent (low or no income) and also eligible to have your court cost waived.  If not, you are better off having us do your divorce for you for $395 which covers everything, including the Court cost of $225, motion fees and other expenses necessary for a standard uncontested divorce. After you factor in everything, you will likely end up spending close to or more than $395 to do everything yourself. With our service, everything can be done quickly and properly from the comfort of your own home. There is no law firm more affordable than us that we know of. And if you do find a lower advertised legal fee – we will beat it.

• That all sounds great but I don’t have $395 right now!!! How can I afford that?  Do you have a Payment Plan?

We know times are tough and budgets are tight. Flexible Payment Plans that fit any budget are available if you need it and at no additional cost. This is something the Court and other law firm’s do not offer!  You can pay any amount that fits into your budget over whatever period of time you need to pay the account balance in full and there are no additional fees or charges for choosing to pay in payments.  While we don’t mind completing the work necessary to file your divorce before you are paid in full, because the court requires court costs be paid at the time the divorce is filed we can not actually file your divorce with the court until you are paid in full.

• I am confused about the process and what to do?

Feel free to call us at (910) 333-9679 or e-mail mycase@houserlaw.com and we can explain the simple process in detail.